CVAR's "Workers" are "Members"

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: CVAR's "Workers" are "Members"
From: "Clyde Stutzman" <clyde.stutzman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 20:41:45 -0500
I want to forward this to the Vintage List from a fellow Corinthian Vintage
Auto Racing corner worker, Jeff Warner of San Antonio, TX. He tried to send
it but somehow couldn't make the connection.

He points up many of the reasons why Corinthian (CVAR) has such a loyal
group of workers.  To wit, they aren't "workers", they're "members" in every
sense of the word.  I'll let Jeff tell it in his own words:

*****

I have been a Corner worker for CVAR in Texas for the last two years.  This
is my initial introduction to Vintage racing or really any racing.  I have
not worked at any other clubs races or any SCCA events, just CVAR's.

I initially attended my first vintage race two years ago to work the corners
just to see the vintage cars race.    Usually, there are only a few new cars
at each event so they help spice up a weekend but if the cars were the only
draw, I too would not have returned to work at 7 of the last 8 events.

CVAR treats the corner workers VERY WELL and that is the reason I keep
coming back including taking time off from work to work the Friday's on
three day events.

What I see with CVAR is that they make the corner workers feel completely
part of the club just like the drivers;  not a
separate second class member.

Why do I feel that way?

At CVAR:
1) New corner workers were initiated into the club at the same time as the
new drivers at the morning drivers meeting.  The corner workers received the
same blue CVAR hat as the drivers.  The corner workers do not pay any club
dues and get into the track free.

2) During the morning driver's meeting which is attended by everyone
(drivers and corner workers),  They always thank us for working the event
and provide instructions to the drivers which  can help us do our jobs
easier.

3) CVAR provides a free lunch every day for the corner workers and if there
is a keg and chips after the event it is shared by everyone, drivers and
workers alike.

4) The CVAR drivers join the corner workers during lunch and we talk about
how the morning is going.

5) The drivers personally come up and thank the specific corner workers that
caught and called in the coolant or oil leak which saved them from
mechanical failures;  as well as for the worker that finds the special
missing part out in the weeds which flew off the car and is very hard to
replace.

6) CVAR sometimes has special T-shirts for a specific event.  Usually the
corner workers get one.  I have three T-shirts so far and I appreciate
answering questions about them when I am wearing them later.  I used the
conversations started with the T-shirts to interest others to come out and
help.  The same thing happens with special dash plates for specific events.

7) When I am walking through the paddock area the CVAR drivers thank me for
coming out and working the corners, They ask me what specific corner I am on
and ask me what I have seen on that corner so far.

8) The corner workers attend the annual awards dinner at the end of the
season and get recognition for not missing any race days, etc.  The corner
workers get to vote for a specific driver in each group to be recognized by
the corner workers for driving skill and their attitude toward us.  We are
involved in the awards banquet.

9) I get the same CVAR club newsletter as anyone else in the club discussing
the past event drivers standings and the future event.

10) The corner workers get a individual letter from the head of the CVAR
corner workers thanking them for attending the last event and reminding them
of the next event.  This has got to be a lot of work for the head of the
corner workers.

11) At CVAR events there is a photographer who gives away free pictures
which have corner workers in them.  I don't believe this is paid for by the
club, ( I don' know for sure) but it just adds to the pleasant weekend.  I
appreciate being able to show my wife and young children what I have been
doing while being gone for a three day weekend.
( The physical evidence helps me get to the next event ... :-)   )

12)  CVAR has a special deal with a specific motel by the track.   If the
corner worker stays at that motel, the club pays for their room.  There are
specific conditions for two and three day events and for singles and
doubles.   A CVAR event can only cost me the gas to get there and back, and
a few meals.  I have already reserved the rooms for all the 2000 events.

13) CVAR picks one worker (corner of timing etc) to attend the club drivers
school for free.  They go out and drive a formula Vee in the school with the
other new drivers and are cheered on by the other workers.  It is a  subject
for discussion and pride years after the class.

14) This last weekend there were two very serious cases of oil ( and also
"cases" as in what seemed like boxes of oil -  :-)               ) ...of oil
being dumped on the track which basically shut the racing down to clean it
up.  MANY of the drivers and crews in the club came out of the paddock area
to help the corner workers sweep in the kitty litter and clean up the mess.
It wasn't just left up to us to clean up the mess.

I guess bottom line:  CVAR makes us feel and believe we are very much
appreciated.  It isn't just the formal club actions for corner workers...
though appreciated probably wouldn't cut it for some.  The icing on the cake
is the actions of ALL the drivers and club leaders during individual - one
on one - conversations with the corner workers.  I go now to every event for
the club member interactions and of course the cars.

Sorry for the length of this reply.  I started this out as a quick note and
got carried away.  I just got back from a three
day CVAR event and it turned out the club does more than I originally
thought once I started to think about it.

If the drivers or leaders of your club think and act like the corner workers
are there only to serve them personally or the corner workers are not part
of "their" club.... all the free t-shirts, lunches, beers, hats, etc,  in
the world isn't going to turn around corner worker attendance.

You may be dealing with a much more serious and harder to solve problem of
individual attitudes.

Jeff Warner
San Antonio, TX