Racing with a hardtop

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Racing with a hardtop
From: Bob Spruck <bspruck@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 15:17:23 -0400
Fellow Vintage Racers:
If any of you have any direct or indirect experience with racing a car with
a hardtop, especially an MG Midget, I would greatly appreciate your comments.

I would like to put a full roll cage on my '67 Midget vintage racer but
don't want the non-vintage look. I currently have a hoop under the
dashboard that connects to the regular hoop with diagonal bars and side
intrusion bars just above the door openings. My plan is to install a full
windshield and factory (square) hardtop and size the cage to fit under it
all, thus hiding most of it. I also plan to use the top in the winter on my
'72 Midget street car.

My questions are:
1- Should I use glass in the winshield and the top or lexan to save weight?
2- How is the rearward visibility with the top on? Any claustrophobia?
Should I  use a Wink mirror or what. I currently use an aftermarket normal
rearview mirror mounted on the rod from the stock windshield. My windshield
is an 8" cutdown stock one but I modified the rod just to mount the mirror.
I also have a bullet mirror on each door. I anticipate his arrangement
would still work with the top.
3- How would the ventilation be with the top. Should I cut holes in the
rear or side windows to let the air out like most of my fellow racers with
Minis do. What about noise and heat.
4- How would access to the car be. Could I get in and out without major
contortions. I am 5'7", 150 lbs.and reasonably supple.
5- How should I mount the top to the car. The standard brackets that
attache to the softtop frame's hinge point with three bolts would
interfere with my current roll bar. The bar is right up against the inside
of the car. I would hate to have to scrap the entire roll bar and build a
cage from scratch. My plan is to bolt the stock bracket further back over
the wheel hump and bolt/fiberglas a corresponding bracket to the top. I
will use the stock clips on the windshield header bar for the front
attachment point.
6- Would there be any top speed gain despite the added weight? Any low
speeed penalties.

I can't think of anything else, but any input or comments you could provide
would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Bob Spruck
Sharpsburg, GA