Minilites Lug Nut Fit

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Minilites Lug Nut Fit
From: Scott Swanberg <sswan60@att.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 19:18:59 -0500
I just purchased a mint set of original 6x13 Minilites in mint condition
for my Triumph GT6.  However, I do have concerns about the lug nuts that
came with them.  I don't know if they are the original lug nuts, I doubt
they are.  The lug nut shanks seem to be too loose in the wheel holes.
The holes in the wheels are ~0.742 inches in diameter while the nut
shanks are 0.690 inches in diameter.

I'm thinking I should not have so much slope on these lug nuts.  Is this
concern correct or is this much slope normal?  Would the wheels
originally have inserts in the holes to provide tighter tolerances?

In order to correct this perceived problem, I'm planning on making some
bushings on the lathe.  Any advice on tolerances?  Should I still
provide a little slope or make them a no wobble fit?  What type of
material should I use?  I was thinking it would be easiest to turn down
some bronze sleeve bearings but I suppose I could make them out of
anything.

Thanks
Scott Swanberg, St. Paul, MN
'67 Triumph GT6