Re: Lotus help needed

To: DSRGR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lotus help needed
From: rod farnsworth <farnsworthr@NUCLEUS.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:40:58 -0600

DSRGR@aol.com wrote:
The questions are numerous.... The water expansion tank is rusted through and

> Dave Bean says they don't make those anymore..

Do you mean the swirl pot by the engine? (de-airates the coolant)  check out
older big  Ford at the wreckers

> . No problem. I have a friend
> that has his own machine shop... He can make anythng.

Not difficult

> What Renault engine do I have ... when looking for tune up parts...

Depends. If non cross flow (Gordini) its a 1470CC early motor

> How many Europas were made.....

Check lotus web sites

> Will a FF engine fit and do I need an adaptor plate.

Yes .use bell housing from a wrecked Europa S3 Twin Cam...Use the motor too.
actually I have a bell housing. Ford to Renault gearbox

> Not planning on an engine swap right now but would just like to know... Where
> could I get a roll cage for it if I wanted to go vintage racing....

Find a fabricator. I used a Lotus super7 roll bar modified and fit it behind the
cab with back stays to the rear frame rails... Works for vintage but mind
there's
no side impact protection in a Europa

> Is the Renault reliable enough for that... cooling system etc...

Great Engine.  I've had no cooling problems

> . Should I get rid of the points and go to an electronic system of some sort.

Stay with points. Some race organizations don't like electronic ignitions

> ..Did the racers of that era do that (so it would be legal in todays
> vintage.)..... do I have to
> fork out $110n for the factory shop manual..

try news boards on lotus sites.... lots of info here. Pick up a Renault 16
manual
for the engine

> For the moment,,, replacing anything suspect to restore it back to original
> is the goal. I plan to street drive it some and autocross it. Since the
> original car was built to handle, I don't want to do anything to hurt it so
> will need advice when I replace shocks or put on autocross tires..

> .. What
> wheels should I look for for the spare autox tires...

I use 6 inch rims (Shelby minilite lookalikes) with 185 60- 13 H rate tires and
are almost too much grip.
I've had outboard  shafts break at the threads with the extra side loading on
the
stock cast units.  (frightening)...   One fix was to Corvair rear hubs.....or go
to billet outboard shafts.  Check out the Europa http://www.banks-europa.co.uk/
pages, Dave Bean  or JAE
Regards Rod   (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)