Re: VARAC Festival at Mosport - Trip Report

To: "Vaughn Rockney" <vintagegarage@erols.com>
Subject: Re: VARAC Festival at Mosport - Trip Report
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:32:37 -0400
Thanks very much for the McMosports ( for both Catherine and I!) and for the
prestigous Vintage Garage "Car of the Meet" award.  I presume a large,
ostentatious trophy is in the mail...

To update those who noticed me running around begging pushrods, and not
finishing the final race, the news is in, so to speak.

The Martin engine has cast aluminium rocker pedestals to carry the twin
rocker shafts in the three valve head.  The alloy crushed under three of the
retaining bolts, allowing them to back out and rattle around under the
rockers, with a resulting four bent and one broken pushrod.  We replaced the
pushrods, and ran two more sessions (sunday warmup and first race) but
damage had been done to the cam, with at least three lobes some what
angular, and probable damage to more.  This caused one pushrod to again
break on the first lap of the final, but not after my weekend was made good
by passing Jake Van Ginkle's Porche into turn eight.  With at least three
camlobes missing in action, and with three broken compression rings
(discovered in the tear-down, and not related to this particular incident),
we still managed to pull hard up the backstraight!

The rings had broken because the pistons (still original, BTW) had developed
a lot of ring land wear (up to .010" on some rings).  They're now being
replaced with some Formula Junior Venolia two ring pistons that Oliver
Clubne happened to have in stock, and to make up the difference in
compression height we're putting them on late Formula Ford rods.  Ain't no
stinkin standard parts combinations in MY race motors...

The reverse rotation cam is being welded and reground by Dema Elgin at Elgin
Cams, so the Martin engine should run again soon...Anybody happen to have
any reverse rotation ford camshafts excess to requirements?

Cheers, Brian

At 11:10 PM 7/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Listers,
>  We're just back from Mosport and Gingerman, tired, but in good shape.  The
>trip report from Mosport is posted at:
>
>http://www.vintagegarage.com/race399.html
>
>  There are photos of Dan Neuhaus, Jon Hirst, Brian Evans, Mike Jackson,
>Mike Rosen, Bill Thompson, Roger Garnett, Jack Veldon, Maura and Brian
>MacEachern, and Travis Engen and their cars and others.
>
>  Brian Evans won Vintage Garage "Car of the Meet" with his Merlyn Mk6A, and
>Travis Engen was overall winner in the First Annual Great McMosport
>Challenge with lowest time.  In total we had to pay out about a dozen
>McMosports.. we'll have to figure out how to go faster next year.. hah!
>
> I'll post the Gingerman report in a couple of days..
>
>Vaughn

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company