What is a Safir GT40 Mk. V

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: What is a Safir GT40 Mk. V
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:39:01 EDT
--part1_e37b63f2.245893a5_boundary

In a message dated 4/28/99 6:28:41 AM Central Daylight Time,
gerrybraz@voyager.net writes:

 < what is a Safir GT 40 Mk. V? >

It is a modern version (replica) of the Ford GT 40, which dominated endurance
racing in the late 1960s and was competitive into the early 1970s.  I guess
the "Mark V" moniker is supposed to signify a continuation, as the real GT
40s were Marks I, II, III, and IV. In the past, most vintage clubs did not
allow replicas, but this appears to be changing. Not to long ago, if a car
appeared at a vintage event, you could be pretty sure it was real, or at
least a bitsa.  Now that is not true.  In the most recent two events this
year, I have seen fake Lotus 23s and Ferrari GTOs being raced.  At least they
were not being passed off as real cars, but you do have to look twice.  I
can't wait to see one of those VWs,  with a cheap  "replica" Bugatti or
pre-war Alfa body on it, show up for an event.

David Whiteside