New/Old Crossle C9 sports racer

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: New/Old Crossle C9 sports racer
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:28:14 -0400
picked up this months Cars and Car Conversions, to see that Crossle has
re-introduced the C9 sports racer.  It's an exact re-issue of the original,
with the addition of modern roll hoop.  It sure is a beautiful car, a
classic mid-60's sports racer very similar to an Elva Mk8, with modern Ford
2 litre engine and hewland box.  They've made 5 or 6 so far, no price was
given. Car is apparently being considered for a retro-series in Japan, where
it would be raced with BMW 2002 engines.

While this probably brings out the argument about new/old vintage racers, I
have to admit that I was thrilled to see the thing in pictures on a race
track.  Unlike the re-issued Ginetta G4, this one is, bar engine and roll
hoop, identical to a mid 60's sports racer, made on the original jigs and
molds.  CRD, the makers of my Merlyn MK6A sports racer, have the ability to
make brand new cars if they wanted to, and I admit that I'm glad they insist
on a valid serial number before they sell a new chassis, having stuck to
their decision not to manufacture more cars.  Lola is apparently re-issuing
the T70, also...I wonder what the effect will be?  Do we know where all the
Crossle C9's and Lola T70's are tonite?  I wonder what all the hundreds of
Lotus 23's think about this (out of the 100 odd that Chapman made)?

Cheers, Brian

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company