Re: Wainer

To: Vintage Race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wainer
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:55:06 -0700
There's a write-up of the Wainer Formula Junior in the September 1960
issue of Sports Cars Illustrated (just before they were forced to change
the name to Road & Track). I just happen to have a copy in my briefcase.

The Wainer was made in Milan by Gianfranco Mantovani using a mixed
assortment of Fiat parts. The engine was a Fiat 1100, which the formula
was basically written around by the late Count Johnny Lurani. Power was
quoted at 87 bhp SAE at 6500 with 9.8:1 compression. It was mid-engine
with the tranny casings from a Fiat Multipla using special gears. The
rear suspension was also Multipla, but turned upside down. The front
suspension was Fiat 600, which proved to be too spindly and flexible.
The Fiat 600 front brakes were also described as inadequate. Transverse
leaf springs were used at both ends. The hood emblem was a pair of
turtles. Mantovani was associated with Nuvolari at some point, and a
single turtle was his personal insignia.

Simon Favre
'58 Bourgeault Formula Jr.