Re: Off Season

To: "Rockney, Vaughn (GEIS)" <Vaughn.Rockney@geis.ge.com>
Subject: Re: Off Season
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:53:41 -0400
Tis indeed off-season, or very nearly - our last regional event is this
weekend.  For me, the off-season began two weeks ago when the Martin engine
ate a 10mm bolt that previously fastened the air cleaner to the carb.  I
suspect, based on the damage, or relative lack thereof, that it initially
swallowed the lock washer, ran for some time with that inside the chamber,
and then tried to do the same with the bolt, which got caught at the intake
valve and didn't actually make it into the chamber.  Wiped out one of the
intake valves and it's seat, but the head shop says no sweat, just money, so
it will live again;)  Piston top and chamber now looks like a cross between
suede and velour, bore walls are completely unharmed, and I now have a
perfect excuse to raise the compression ratio from 10.5:1 to 12:1 or so.
Damage would have been much worse had the inch long bolt actually got inside
the chamber, I think...

Merlyn is now stripped down, about to go off the the frame restorer to have
a tube replaced (lifting strap broke, car fell onto a stand, bent lower
frame tube, life sucks but could be worse - if the stand hadn't been there,
far worse damage would have occurred, and I've learned to competely ignore
load ratings on lifting straps on the pessimistic side rather than the
optimistic side).

All in all, I'm pleased with the season.  The problem with the engine gave
me my first mechanical DNF in three seasons, so I was probably due.  The
Merlyn is a blast to drive and shows some potential for actual speed, so I'm
happy about that.  I was amazed at the reaction bringing the car back out
had, to be honest.  The car originally ran in our region 30 years ago.  The
original owner was brought to Mosport (as a birthday surprise, no less) to
see the car run for the first time since about 1972, when it burned while he
was driving it at the same track, and the emotions were pretty high.  I met
a number of people who knew the car them, who had worked for the importer
and remembered bringing in the car, who had worked for Merlyn (CRD) in
England and worked building the original aluminium body that the molds were
taken from, and many other such stories.  Nice...

Cheers, Brian

BTW, I'd like the dope on the jefferson...I rather fancy a road trip early
in the year, I think!

At 09:06 AM 10/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Friends,
>  I haven't heard much lately from you guys.  We had a cold snap this
>morning, and it made me realize that you guys are probably putting things
>away for the winter.  To keep the juices flowing, I thought I'd ask about
>advance planning for the Festival next year.  Any idea about featured Marque
>or other ideas?  I've also been wanting to go to Mt. Tremblant.  Any
>thinking about a VARAC event there next season.  How about planning a mass
>VARAC excursion to the Jefferson 500 next spring.  I live an hour from the
>track and would like to host a blowout for you guys.  Lastly, perhaps you
>could consider a winter trip to Sebring/??  As I understand it from SVRA,
>they won't be going to Homestead this year, so maybe it will be a
>Sebring/Palm Beach double weekend this year.
>  Anyway, food for thought.  Take care!
>Vaughn
>P.S. Here is a photo of a wood-bodied special that was for sale at Lime Rock
>for $800.  I don't think it sold.  I almost bought it for Mike, but didn't
>have a way to get it home.  It had a 4 cylinder Ford engine mated to a
>mini-minor transaxle in the rear.  The rear-uprights were castings, and the
>car included the molds.
>
> <<WierdCar.JPG>>
>

>Attachment Converted: D:\HOME\eudora\WierdCar.JPG

Brian Evans
Director, Carrier Sales
UUNET Worldcom
(416) 216 5111