Mixing parts

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net (Vintage list)
Subject: Mixing parts
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:25:47 EDT
One last thought about switching starters or anything else.

I received this edited message today.

<< < I don't know of anyone who has had a problem.

 Would you like to see my bill for a new flywheel from Hutton Motor
Engineering?
We put a non-matching bevel type starter on our Lotus and it chewed up the
flywheel.  Maybe the difference was the lightweight flywheel. >>

And my response:

That is a different problem altogether. It's still a good point though. It is
a good idea to make sure that the corresponding gears mesh properly when
engaged. I would expect that in your case there must have been an unusual
noise. Any of these starter swaps should be checked periodically to be sure
that there isn't this sort of situation. Paint or dye on the flywheel should
indicate if the parts are working together satisfactorally.

There are always unexpected problems when you start swapping components that
aren't designed to be used together. That is part of race preparation and
fabrication, and it is why those good at it should get top dollar for their
sevices.

JW