Logging/crack seal (?)

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Logging/crack seal (?)
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 00:16:14 -0500
Rick,
I'll share a hard earned trick I learned from a rebuilder - bounce the idea
off an engine machine shop you trust but . . . this works:     Preheat the
head,  weld a fat bead ACROSS the crack  (stick welder, nickle rod)   every
inch of the crack.  This stabilizes the crack and the bead-shrink pulls the
crack together.  Then use a sealer, the powdered aluminum type works best
for me.

>Does anyone have a good product to plug a hairline crack in the water side
>of the intake valve runner on a 1500 cc non crossflow Ford head? Other than
>Barr's Leak.  Looks like leak has been brazed before.
>RCC