Titling A Race Car (California)

To: <chad.raynal@mailexcite.com>, <ken@fiona.umsmed.edu>
Subject: Titling A Race Car (California)
From: "Mordecai Dunst"<mdunst@smtplink.coh.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 98 16:52:52 -0800

       If I built a car for vintage/street from parts how may I register it
     for street use?

     Reply:  I had the same situation.  I asked the DMV in Pasadena what
     the process is.  The answer was:  1) where did the chassis come from?
     they said I didn't build it and therefore it has a vin# and titled at
     some point.  i said I bought the chassis at a 'swap' meet with a bill
     of sale that i lost years ago....

     They indicated that the car had to go before the Highyway patrol
     office to meet safety (lights, wipers, tires, sound, ....)  if
     inspected to be safe then there was a way to make a title for
     the projet.

     Mordy

     Funny thing is that one California DMV office may give one answer and
     another (on the same day) will give a different answer.  Moral to the
     story:  call as many DMV offices near your location and choose the
     answer that is the least painful.