Re:electric fans

To: ferguss@philly.infi.net, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:electric fans
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 13:08:10 -0800
Yes, I've used both.

SPAL is what you get from Racer Wholesale. They're fine enough fans,
but I've gone over to dealing with Scott's - becasue the range
of offerings is so much broader, the prices are about the same,
and they have great after-sale service.

FIgure out how big a fan you can fit, then call Scott's and get them
to make you such a fan with their highest performance blade.
For street use, I wire their simple thermostat into the
ground side of the fan motor; for racing, that may or nay
not be a good idea, depending on what wter temps you run. You
can get some adjustability out of their thermostat by placing
it higher or lower in the core.

(I have the adjustable thermostat that Racer Wholesale sells in
two cars - while I finally got them to work, there were many teething
problems - I wouldn't recommend them unless you *need* a wide
range of adjustability).

I used to wire bypass switches, to allow me to run the fan manually.
I don't bother any more; the thermostat does a great job and it's
one less thing to think about.

I believe strongly in *not* using the zip tie style fastener that
goes through the core - do it right, make up some small steel brackets
and brae (or have them brazed) onto the radiator body.

A puller is more efficient than a pusher, but if it won't fit, it
won't fit. I don't know how your Seven is set up, so you may
not have a choice. You *can* get away with a smaller efficient
fan that doesn't cover the entire core; that's how the big
A series in our Morris is set up. The fan covers the left side of
the core, so the motor doesn't interfere with the water pump and timing
pulleys. Works a treat.

Good luck.