Re: Solex Carbs

To: jcargal@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Solex Carbs
From: jarrid_gross@juno.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 02:33:09 EST
On Fri, 09 Jan 1998 22:57:14 -0500 Joe Cargal <jcargal@worldnet.att.net>
writes:

>Hello List,
>
>I have a set of Mikuni 44 PHHs that I would like to have jet chamber
>covers for that
>say "SOLEX" as well as the wing bolts to hold them down.  My primary
>reason is that I
>am building a vintage racer and if it says "MIKUNI" on the jet chamber
>covers it
>really wouldn't look vintage!

I have a set of solex carbs "not for sale", the internals are mostly
compatible with the Mikuni's, but thats about where it all ends.

The newer type PHH carbs have a totally different jet cover than the
old solex carbs, in fact, the whole top case is totally incompatible from
the gasket to the cover.

If you are hell bent for old Mikuni Solex carbs, You might consider
checking with a Japanese engine importer.
Japanese hipo spec engine from Datsun roadsters and Toyota corollas,
from the late 60s, still find their way into the US "with OEM performance
cabs".

Rebuild kits for the SOLEX side draught are unobtainium though.
Mikuni America still offers jets, chokes and pumps, but the gaskets are
NLA.

Jarrid Gross
61 Sunbeam Alpine