Historic Tasman Series

To: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Subject: Historic Tasman Series
From: Jeremy Braithwaite <ATROZ@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 20:14:29 -0500
Jim

I'd agree with you that there is only limited commercial scope in our spo=
rt
for sponsors - but it still exists.

For example I believe that Chrysler has successfully change its image as =
result of its involvement.  I had never heard of the watchmaker Chopard
before Monterey, and Louis Vuitton and Coy's would be others who have
benefitted and been a benefit to the sport.

The simple fact is that if their involvement was such a turn off - nobody=

would enter their events!

In Australia we have few events with any commerical involvement.  The mai=
one is the historic support event for the Australian Grand Prix, which
invariably attracts some absolutely mouthwatering machinery which I would=

love to see at some of OUR events where we could get close to it and its
owners.

The thing that prevents us approaching sponsors to put together a truly
international historic event - such as a Historic Tasman Series - is that=

we still do not have single simple system for licensing drivers and cars.=
 =

The FIA system is a joke and the so-called recent solution where one can
apply for an International Historic Licence without losing one's national=

one is not an answer as one can then only enter events on the Internation=
al
FIA Calender.  We currently have none!

I would love to see an international series in this part of the world.  I=
would need commercial invovlement to:

* Subsidise transport costs
* Help put together low cost package deals for airfare and accommodation
* Pay for the administration costs including wages
* Pay for promotion

As there is nothing else on in the northern hemisphere winter it would be=

widely reported in North America and Europe.  I would have thought this
would make it attractive to a commerical sponsor, but it would need
somewhere between $300K and $500K to do properly - involving say 3 races
before Xmas in Oz and three after in NZ.

Anybody interested?

regards

Jeremy Braithwaite
Age & Treachery Racing Australia
For details of FF rentals, test days and corporate days see:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/atroz
1970 Lotus 61MX - Team Holland
1976 Bowin P6F
1983 Reynard FF83 =

1986 Isuzu FVR Pantechnicon
1972 Datsun 240Z
1993 RF93 Van Diemen with 95 update
1997 Ford Falcon XR8 Tickford
A large collection of model cars
Investor in the Lance Ruting Collection of motorsport photographs