Re: SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios (com. interest)-3rd reply

To: FHammett <FHammett@aol.com>
Subject: Re: SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios (com. interest)-3rd reply
From: Doug Wilson <dwilson@america.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 10:52:38 -0800
Mr. Hammett is on the right track and probably has a better
understanding of what it will take market vintage racing than most of
what has been done in the past. His observation that it is difficult for
people to follow the races in especially salient. This problem also
plagues IMSA/ProSportsCar racing. If they can't figure out what is going
on they will not watch/attend/support.

The other issue that causes marketing problems are delays caused by
wrecks. Just as baseball realized that the audience would not tolerate a
"slow" game, long delays, due to wrecks causes problems, especially with
television coverage. Ever notice how they clear the track during a
"legends" race ?

The best way to eliminate the delay is to eliminate the wrecks ? Even a
cursory statistical analysis could probably identify the causes on at
least 30% of the incidents. It may be possible to implement changes to
the tracks or  rules which would reduce some of these incidents. For
example many of the really messy wrecks at Road Atlanta happen in the
dip and in turn 12. I understand they are being changed.

Also electronics could be used to enhance "watchability" A simple score
board which shows the order would be great. A PA system that you can
hear would be great. How about broadcasting on short range  radio so
people can pick up the signal locally on walkman radios, etc. Even cable
TV with large monitors showing what is happening in some of the remote
corners may be helpful. While these may sound expensive, can you imagine
what it cost to redo a track such as RA and these type of investments
may allow the track to attract more spectators to all type of events.