Re: SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios (com. interest)-3rd reply

To: FHammett <FHammett@aol.com>
Subject: Re: SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios (com. interest)-3rd reply
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:12:53 -0800
FHammett wrote:

> Regarding commercial potential of Club Racing.
>
> I for one would like to see the sport promoted. It would mean more excitement,
> and probably less cost to the drivers. Even price money.   But everone should
> know the trade offs and remember the old saying  "Be carefull for what you
> wish, you may get it."
>
> Frank (the ruptured duck).

Well, that makes one of you...  You are entitled to your opinion but I
cannot share it.  While much of what you say about the shortcomings of
public appeal to vintage events is true, you are missing the point and
philosophy of the sport entirely.

Florida Region SCCA, in conjunction with CARE (now defunct), began
running local Vintage events in 1987, primarily as support events to the
IMSA and CART races in Florida.  SVRA was also active at that time (and
before) with a much more "pure" formula of eligibility.  On their own,
spectator attraction was, at best, moderate.  Since that time, HSR has
come into its own with sponsorship and 300+ car fields - even a
spectator event at Daytona!  The costs have not decreased to the
participants (indeed, the HSR fees were increased this year...).
Additionally, the driving style at the larger events seems to reflect a
less "gentlemanly" spirit more inclined toward "winning" than "good
competition" - there is a difference.  Yes, the "names" are at these
events and the parties are great but that is not necessarily part of
vintage racing.

At its most basic level, to me, Vintage Racing is best exemplified by
our local SCCA program where we are simply one more group on a normal
race weekend.  The difference is that our entire field tends to paddock
together and help one another rather then (in addition to?) trying to
figure out how to win.  We are a community of friends with similar
interests and philosophies.  Our objective is to maintain our existing
friendships, make some new ones and enjoy using our cars for what they
were prepared to do - race!  Then we all get to load them up as they
came to the track (for the most part) and look forward to the next event
where we can do it all over again.

Fortunately, there is room for all sorts of organizations and marketing
styles; the one you proposed (prize money, indeed!) is simply ill-suited
for the venue of Vintage Racing - all IMHO!

*8o)

Vintage Race Coordinator, Florida Region, SCCA
http://www.netcom.com/~nobozos/