Re: Canley

To: "Andrew Pursey" <MorrisOxford@s054.aone.net.au>
Subject: Re: Canley
From: "Andres Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 23:34:09 +0800
Andrew,

You replied to my query on the relevance of the name "Canley" to Triumph:

"Canley is the Coventry suburb where the main Triumph Assembly Plant used to
be located.  A number of Triumphs were assembled there, such as TR7
production which moved there after the closure of Speke (in Liverpool)."

The reason I asked is that, in the 1950s, TR2s were assembled in the
Philippines by a factory in Pasig, then a distant suburb of Manila
(Philippines).  The roads around the factory had no names, since the area
was quite remote at the time, so the factory owner named the road by his
factory "Canley."  TR2 production was followed by Heralds in the 60s, when
the factory went to assembling Vauxhalls.

Pasig is now a city, but the reason why one of its roads is named "Canley"
is now known only to a handful of people - all of them Triumph enthusiasts
of course.

Regards,

Andres
Manila