Re: why membership is small in this newsgroup

To: FHammett@aol.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: why membership is small in this newsgroup
From: alfred@ajkco.com
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 07:44:53 -0500
Oh, almost forgot...I think you meant flamed, not spammed.  Spam, after
all, is unwanted e-mail advertising.  Flames (or flame mail) are angry,
vicious, hateful, mail designed to break the will, drive a participant off
the Internet, and home to a good book, read in the fetal position.  I
personally think spam's worse...but to each his own...

Welcome aboard!

-Alfred

At 06:50 AM 12/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>FHammett-
>
>Basically, I agree, but if there were good, topical threads running, the
>personal stuff would either go away, or at least be much easier to ignore
>in favor of other content.
>
>But lacking the good topical threads, you can't blame a bunch of racing
>buddies for lying to each other until there's something important to say!
>And you never know when one of their yarns will become a good topical
>thread... happened that way with brats, after all!
>
>I think, if you want more content, some of the silent partners to this
>thing, of whom, I believe, there are many, should speak up with some new
>ideas...
>
>-Alfred
>
>At 10:49 PM 12/9/97 EST, you wrote:
>>As a new subscriber (only two months) I may be out of place in this
>>correspondence.  I will probably be spamed for this commentary.  But one
>>reason this newsgroup tends to be boring is because some of which is here
>>should be addressed not to the group, but to the individuals to whom it
>>applies.   Does everyone who races vintage cars really care about "the slow
>>ass red car"  ( two or three people who diced together at one race?")  The
>>thread will probably go on for a month or two.
>>
>>Conversations like this should take place in private Email. That is why  we
>>can CC (carbon copy )other interested parties. My email allows me to respond
>>to the individual who made the correspondence without sending my personal
>>comment to the entire group.    To the extent that this newsgroup becomes a
>>means of private correspondence it will have less appeal for those who are
>not
>>privy (or do not care) about the personal matters effecting only a few.
>>
>>Those  who question why the same old names keep appearing on this newsletter
>>now have an answer.  It is because much of what appears only effects those
>>"same old names".
>>
>>The threads that have common interest are a value to many of us. And it
>helps
>>if the Subject Column clearly describes the subject matter.  But it is a
>waste
>>of time to access every piece of correspondence to find much of them are
>>nothing more that personal correspondence between two or three people.
Maybe