Re: tires

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tires
From: Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com (Walt Boeninger)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:19:20 PDT
[from Simon Favre]
>Marc Ablaza wrote:
>> Presently, our rules have restricted the use of "R" rated tires for vintage
>> racing.  We only use street tires with an aspect ratio of not less than
>> 65%.
>
>You mean you don't allow street legal HR or VR rated tires?  Most clubs

I think he means "R" compound. IE 'race' tires.  Which sure seems
starnge to be restricted to Street tires on a Race car. Kinda
defeats the purpose.

In HMSA, for the B production group and Trans Am, we are retricted
to the Goodyear Sports Car Specials.  Or a Hoosier.  Both Bias bly.
No modern tires allowed.

>> There seems to be no problem with the smaller sports cars like TRs, MGBs,
>> MGAs, etc.  The big problem lie with the American sports cars like the
>> Mustangs GT350s and the Corvettes.  As far as I know, the Goodyear
>> Bluestreaks for these cars, available in the USA, have a lower aspect ratio
>> even if these are bias-ply tires
>
>The problem is that these cars have very wide wheels compared to the
>small cars.  I would suggest that since the Goodyear Blue Streaks are a
>bias ply tire, and not street legal, that you just allow them as is.
>The 65 aspect ratio is reasonable for street legal radial tires, IMO.  I
>think the original tires on these cars would have been 70 series if they
>were radials.  These are getting somewhat harder to find now.  Tire
>availability should also be considered.

I agree with Simon's comments.  The Goodyears are the proper style
tire for these cars.

-------
Regards

Walt Boeninger - Nor Cal SAAC   Web Site -  http://www.norcal-saac.org