Re: Towing Advice

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Towing Advice
From: "Ralph D. Edelbach" <edelbach@tcnj.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 08:21:34 -0700
I too need advice about towing. I need to get an Alfa 2000 Spider
project car from my garage in New Jersey to my son's in northern
Virginia, about 200 miles. I'd like to tow it behind my 1990 3.3 L
Plymouth Minivan. It would be easiest to "flat tow" it with all four
wheels of the Spider on the ground -- at least most of the time when I'm
not drifting the minivan through high speed turn on I-95. I used to flat
tow my MGA "Deluxe" behind the '69 Volvo wagon but I was younger and
crazier then. Also, the longest distance tow then was about 50 miles.

I already have a tow bar which can be attached to the car so I'd like to
use it and avoid the "dolly" or renting a truck and trailer -- more
money to spend on the cars ya know!

Does anyone know of any potential problems with a long distance flat
tow?  Since it doesn't have an automatic transmission (in case anyone
was wondering) I don't believe there shouldn't be any problem with the
transmission being driven by the rear wheels. True or false????

Naturally I would hook up the brake lights on the Spider to work in
conjunction with the van's. Also, a sign saying "CAR IN TOW" afixed to
the rear.

Any tips would certainly be appreciated. Many thanks and happy motoring