hydraulic jacks

To: jsnook_gmi@wcnet.org, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: hydraulic jacks
From: jim fuerstenberg <jimf42@pyrotechnics.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:09:54 -0500
Well, did some more investigation and serious shopping today and bought a
jack...

Starting from the pricy jacks.

The Milwaukee is 559 list with some % off, Beaver jacks are similarly priced.

The Lincoln, used to be Walker and is also now the Snap-On, lists for $403
(Snap-On only want about $450), but I have seen it for about $325.  This
jack is heavy, but goes down to 3 3/4" minimum height.

I ended up at Chicago Jack Service Co. on 8346 W. 47th St. in Lyons, IL.
They have virtually no showroom and seem to be mostly a service operation,
but do sell the Lincolns and a vitual copy of the Lincoln's made in Japan
by Norco.  The Norco goes as low as the Lincoln, looks VERY similar, is
rebuildable, unilike most other less expensive jacks and costs $145.  I
bought one.  According to the folks at Chicago Jack, this particular Norco
model only came out within the last year.  Norco does sell a full line of
hydraulic equipment and does not seem to be related to Flybynight Jack Inc.

I have tried it and it works much more smoothly and postively than other
imported jacks I have owned or used.

Per Jeff Snook:

>Have you looked at the aluminum ones sold by BSR at the track.  I don't
>know how much they cost, but they look sturdy and appear to be light
>weight.  I suspect they will be at Mid Ohio..... How about you?

The BSR and other aluminum jacks are very nice and VERY pricey.  The
cheaper ones which are part steel only cost about $700....most of the all
aluminum ones cost $900+.

(I will be at Gingerman for the HSR race on June 19-22, assuming my car
survives the Blackhawk Vintage Classic.  Stop by and look at the jack  :-) .

Jim

Jim Fuerstenberg
Three Wheel Racing

"It has been said that motor racing shares in common with sex the
distinction of being one of the most popular, most maligned and least
understood of human activities."  Charles Beaumont and Phillip F.
Nolan (Omnibus of Speed, 1958)