Re: Securing 912 to trailer

To: Rich Lambert <red912@acmenet.com>
Subject: Re: Securing 912 to trailer
From: Don Suiter <suiter@ares.csd.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 21:50:01 -0700
Rich,
I have seen various tow points on cars and trailers. I currently use two
10,000 lb. D rings
which have been put into my 2x12 deck with the forward edge of the D
ring case welded to the
tire-rack frame on my race trailer and HD bolts used in the rest of the
mounting holes.  In the rear, I had a channel made with 4 hook up points
and welded to the trailer frame, this sits in the dovetail area of the
trailer, dead center.

I hook to the front over my front suspension and if necessary I hook to
a third point under
the car in a secure place. In the rear I have been using an axle strap
with a 10000 lb. hookup. I have considered the various options on my
car, where do I hook up. The shop where
I do a lot of my race prep said use the suspension upper arms. It has
worked for me. Of course, the Alfa has some strong stuff :-). And I have
spares...

I keep my tow straps in good condition and out of the weather. I don't
hook to the wheels. I'm going to put an extra tow hook on the Alfa in
the next few weeks, but I will continue to use the current setup.  My
longest tow was Boulder to Phoenix in 96. It was some really bad towing
conditions and all held up very well. I always take extra stuff with me
and check before every tow to ensure all is well. We do some pretty
extreme mountain towing here and I feel pretty confident the car will
stay in place.

My car weight in current trim is 2200+, soon to be around 1950 - 2100 or
to minimum vintage legal for my primary race club.

When in doubt do more than the minimum.

Regards,
Don

--
Don Suiter ACOC VP - webmaster (ACOC) owner (ErEc,Ltd)
RMVR #81 1967-Alfa GTjr - 1600, 76 Alfa Spider (parts/future ?)