RE: Carbon/Kevlar Brake Pads

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Carbon/Kevlar Brake Pads
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:37:44 -0500 (EST)
Hi All;

Seeing the posts on the Carbotech brake pads triggered a comment I thought
I'd throw out for any of you using the Porterfield Carbon Kevlar (R4) pads.
 From my experience, I strongly recommend replacing these pads when they
reach approximately 1/2 thickness.  I say this as I've had 2 instances now of
the pad material completely separating from the backing plate from extreme
heat build-up on well worn pads.  The pads become discolored, with a pinkish
hue.  I've talked to Porterfield and they confirmed that they've seen this
before.  My theory is there's a lot more heat dissipation capability in a
thicker pad, and on my car the fronts get quite a workout.  Other than this,
I'm very happy and pleased with their overall performance.  I get
considerably longer life, less brake fade, and less overheating to the point
of boiling the fluid with the carbon kevlar pads, than with the DS-11's I
used to use.   FYI....

Myles H. Kitchen
Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128