Re: Sebring 12 hour

To: DOUG WILSON <dwilson@america.net>
Subject: Re: Sebring 12 hour
From: Susan <alfasun@esslink.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 16:30:21 -0500
DOUG WILSON wrote:

> HSR has managed to obtain the "Vintage" slot for the Sebring 12 hour IMSA
> event. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has ever
> particiapted in this event with a histroic car. Is it worthwhile ? Are rooms
> available ? Any other comments.
>
> Doug Wilson

Are you sure that this is HSR? It has always been SVRA, and still is
now, to the best of my knowledge. SVRA rules are different. HSR races
there 2/28-3/2/97 SVRA March 12-15 (IMSA weekend) Anyhow...
Rooms are weird. Most jack up the rates. $100. per night the norm. Very
hard to get, too at this "late" date. We stay at the Kenilworth
downtown- one year we rented a house. There is a former days inn and
holiday inn, etc, the santa rosa, and a few others. Also try Avon Park,
the next town.
No appreciable worthwhil track time for vintage/historic. We've done
both the IMSA and SVRA and IMSA has all the time and is by far the more
fun deal. I don't think the SVRA even races on Sunday at all. Thurs. &
Fri. there's some time. As I recall you start at 7.30 AM and then maybe
wait all day till 5 or so. Parties are great as is fun in the paddock,
though local restaurants fall well short of gourmet cuisine. Bring
beer/food/supplies to track since town is 5-6 miles away and with crowds
hard to get back and forth. Track food is fine, though. The track is,
well, Sebring. Very fast. Easy to get in BIG trouble. Rookies can't race
there. The animal kingdom is amazing - worth the trip. Best fun is just
being there, where it all happened.