Re: Lotus TC motor

To: PaceCars@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lotus TC motor
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 13:00:56 -0700
Gee, I just happen to have a Lotus twin cam motor for sale.  Unfortunately,
being a Triumph guy, I don't know as much about this motor as a Lotus expert
would.  It was part of a package deal.  Anyway, here's what I know, about the
T/C motor in general and this one specifically.

The twincams are all crossflow heads, with forged cranks.  There are motors
built with the Ford based block that are just single overhead cam, not twin,
and there are motors based on this block that are pushrod.

The twincam motors are all around 1600 cc, depending on bore size.  Dave Bean,
contact info available from the Monster List*, has a comprehensive catalog all
about Lotus bits, highly recommended.  Bean provides a "1700 kit" that includes
a crank and pistons of the proper bore to make a motor of about 1700cc.

The motor I have for sale, originally from an Europa, has one of these kits.
It is a 711M block, freshened Stromberg head, all the machine work is done,
it needs assembly.  I'm asking $2,000 for the whole thing, a fresh Weber head
alone will cost more than that!  If interested, let me know.

mjb.

[*] Monster list:  available via anon ftp to ftp.team.net, as 4 parts in
              sol/brit-van.*

              also available via http://www.dimebank.com/monster/vendor.html