Re: Fuel Cell/Storage

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Cell/Storage
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 16:16:41 -0400
Its my understanding that race fuel deteriorates with age, and particularly
with exposure to sunlight (which is why the opaque fuel containers are
recommended over the translucent ones).  While that shouldn't be a problem
while stored in the tank, the aging factor may be an issue.  It may not be
wise to run a high compression engine on old race gas.  I also believe that
race gas is hydroscopic (i.e. it absorbs water).  This is also not advisable
for long term storage.  Anyone know if this is correct, or am I a victim of
"old wives tales"????

Having said all this, I usually just leave some race gas in the car, since
around here the winter is from November through February, and during that
time it gets started a few times to move it around anyway.

Myles