Compression ratios/race gas

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Compression ratios/race gas
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:41:58 -0400
Might as well get my 2 cents worth in on this....
My Lotus twin cam has about 13.5:1 CR.  We tried different plugs and race gas
in the beginning and found we got detonation running ERC 110 race gas.  We
started with NGK plugs and then found better performance and plug life from
Autolite race plugs.  We also run different heat ranges in different
cylinders...the center two run hotter than the outer two.   What we've
settled on is the Autolites and CAM2 (now bought by SUNOCO) purple race gas
(108, I believe).  No detonation, good plug life, and lots of power!!  For
those in the Bay Area, the race gas is available in South San Francisco at an
industrial station on Linden Ave at around $4/gal...cheaper than at the
track.  You must pump it into approved containers, or a non-street licensed
vehicle on a trailer as it is leaded fuel.

Myles H. Kitchen
Lotus Cortina MK1 #128  (the one seen grazing on hay bales at Steamboat!!)