Re: piston to head clearance - LMSC results!

To: mac.overtons@coastalnet.com
Subject: Re: piston to head clearance - LMSC results!
From: Chris M Wilson <chris@gategart.u-net.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:54:19 +0100
On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:39:46 +0100 Mark Coffin <mac.overtons@coastalnet.com>
apparently said:

<snip>

>  Upon inspection,
> the tops of the pistons all had a perfectly legible, .004-.006" deep
> impression of the cylinder head combustion chambers.

<snip>

>   The heads were Ok, 7 pistons, 6 rods were
> OK, but will need new crank, cam, lifters, block (of course - there
> were holes big enough to put your fist in..), oil pan, pump, etc.

With respect,Mark, pistons that have a .004 to.006"  indent from having had
head contact are <not> ok :-)Nor would I really like to say that the rods from
these slugs were ok ,either.
  If you are replacing all you quote in your list,I would be inclined to go
the extra mile and change the rods and pistons completely.

--
             Chris Wilson  Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:37 +0100
                   Gatesgarth Racing Developments

                 Racecar preparation and development.
   Dyno development work for 2 and 4 stroke kart and bike engines.