Re: Oxygen sensors or Exhaust Gas Temps

To: malcox@napanet.net
Subject: Re: Oxygen sensors or Exhaust Gas Temps
From: Simon Favre <favres@ulinear.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 9:56:15 PDT
If it's piston holes you are worried about, the temp sensor should
prevent that.  It's the rise in temp that melts the pistons.  I'm still
not sure which solution is best for tuning a car running on leaded race
gas.  I have a similar problem.  I do know that you can get a fitting to
weld into the exhaust system that accepts common O2 sensors, and they
have a special plug that can be used to block it off.  They use the same
thread as some spark plugs, so those dumb spark plug "non-fouler" kits
are a cheap source of weld fittings.  The thermocouples now come in a
unit that clamps on over a hole in the pipe.