Tyre advice requested.

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Tyre advice requested.
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:54:04 -1000
I am running a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite Mk 1 in the Three Peaks
Rallye this November 2-5. The event is billed as "A Classic rallyye in
the Monte carlo tradition".

It combines closed road special stages, navigation/observation stages,
average speed and economy stages, sealed surface motorkhanas
(autocross), road race circuit and speedway (yes sandy surface oval
tracks) single car sprints.

It is run in the Alpine region in late spring over mostly stunning
windy roads.

This is my first time in this sort of event.

Now my question. On my spridget racecar, when not on slicks, I use
Hoosier Street TD (205/60R13 on 13x7 Superlites) or Bridgestone RE71S
(185/60R13 on 13x5.5" Superlites). The bugeye ("redcar", bought from
the british-cars lister Daren Stone) came with old Yoko A008RTU
(185/60R13 on 13x6 Chevy Vega GT steel wheels). I can't use the
existing wheels or the 13x7 superlites without adding flares to the
car (which I don't want to do), so I am sticking with the 13x5.5" mags.

I have to choose a tyre that will perform well for the whole event
since one of the regulations says "All wheels and tyres used in the
event by a competing vehicle mustbe carried by that vehicle".

A sprite is a very small car so I won't be carrying a spare set with me!

The tyres must be competative on all of the surfaces and must cope
with wet conditions in a very progressive manner (spring remember,
potentially quite wet unfamiliar roads). Also I don't want to give up
competativeness on the autocross or the race track. As for the
Speedway - I don't know it will be a new one for me!!!

One of my direct competitors (MkIIA Sprite) is running Dunlop Formula
Rs (D98J) - this is a very sticky tyre but not fantastic in the wet
and a total unknown on the sand. I'd suspect it wouldn't work that
well there. For comparison, the D98J is about the same as the Street TD.

I am thinking of a the Falken GRB RS410 which is supposedly wonderful
in the wet, quiet and approx the same grip as the old A008R. This will
cost me at the circuit, esp if it is dry, but I may make it up on wet
roads or at the speedway.

Another option is the new Hoosier radial (which i haven't tried).

We don't have the BFG R1, but from comments I've seen on these lists,
the Hoosier rdaial is roughly comparable in performance and it is now
here.

Any other suggestions?

Should I just run R compound tires like the Street TD or the Dunlop
Formula R?  Or will that be a curse on the sometimes bumpy mountain
roads?

I'm really looking forward to this event. Redcar has a new hot road
1380cc motor, a straightcut C/R gearbox, high strength half shafts,
f/glass bonnet etc. I'm getting myself a VDO mini cockpit for the
navigation stuff. I already have a factory hardtop, but I am
considering an intercom anyhow.

One more thing -- should I run the carbon kevlar disc pads and brake
shoes? I haven't put these on yet so I am not sure if they'll be
suitable for the road stages...

Anyone here done this sort of event before? I'd like to talk to anyone
that has about strategies for the navigation stages.

thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au