Vintage Grand Prix Au Grattan

To: vintage race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Vintage Grand Prix Au Grattan
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <Severin9@mail.idt.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 19:15:35 -0500
The VSCDA's Vintage Grand Prix Au Grattan (10th year) is coming up on August
16, 17, & 18
at the beautiful, repaved  Grattan Raceway, in Grattan Michigan. About 30
minutes from
Grand Rapids, this well maintained track is my personal favorite. The grounds
are
manicured like a golf course. The paddock area is elevated so that one can see
50% of the
track at one time. There's running water, showers, fishing ponds, and a bitchin
pool. The
track itself is extremely challenging, lots of elevatation changes, off camber
turns, and
a long main straight (so the big horsepower guys and cheater motor guys can
make up for
the embarrassment they've experienced in the twisties). Although the track is
very
challenging, the nice thing is the safe runoff areas. One can push the car
(without the
pucker factor like the kink at Road America). You CAN get in trouble at
Grattan... but it
usually takes help or brain fade.

The race has the most track time per dollar of any event on the schedule ( 3
days... no
extra $$$) with a sprint race on Saturday, an enduro on Saturday, and a feature
race on
Sunday (bring your extra set of tires!!!). The MG club has a big gathering that
weekend
that features a trip to the track with track touring (nothing like the oil
slick that 400
MGs put down).

The Team Thicko land yacht will be in the middle tier of the paddock, all the
way down
near the end of the esses, by the salad bowl. The Team Thicko mailbox will now
have paper
an pen for all you e-mailers that stop by and want to say hey.

No word yet on when RPM 2Night will air my coverage of the Chicago Historic
Races that
featured the 30th reunion of Can Am at Road America. I chopped 12 hours of
footage into a
10 minute recap... they'll probably use 20 seconds. I'll try to give everyone
notice when
it airs. I'm guessing the comments will be...

1. I thought the camera only added 15 lbs...
2. Who is this a**hole???
3. Keep your day job...
4. HEY... That's my car!!!

We'll have a supply of Team Thicko sportswear ( coveted by many, bought by
few..)
available for your purchasing pleasure. They can also be ordered at Les Meyer's
Austin
Healey Sprite page at...
<http://www.probe.net/~lmyer/> in the forum section.

Look forward to seeing y'all at Grattan.

Wm. Severin Thompson
Team Thicko
(Where tireless self-promotion is starting to pay off...)