Re: bushings

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bushings
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 22:19:50 -500
Chris Sez:

> I believe that poly/urethane/nylatron/synthetic bushings should
> always have a bearing surface that is smooth.

You bet- important for any bushing/bearing.

 Jeff Young wrote:

> I believe all bushings should have an inner (metal) race.  The reasoning goes
> something like this: you don't want the bolt rotating in the frame (it wears
> out the holes, if nothing else).  The only way to do that is to clamp it down.
>  To do that, you need the inner race to clamp it against.

Right- I remember that now, sometimes the metal sleeve acts as a distance
tube. This would be the case with plain cylindrical bushings, and some other
setups.

Now, that leaves us with the Spridget setup.  In this case, the pivot "Bolts"
that go through the bushings are smooth where contact is made, and the
bolt shoulder provides a distance stop. And, it's held in place with a lock
nut, so you don't get tempted to overtorque.

Hey- just got my new bushings- lets have a look... no sleeve. The hole is
sized for the bolt only. Actually, the bushing for the shock/trunnion fits
cleanly, and the bolt slides in smoothly. The bushings for the A-Arm fit into
the A-Arm freely, but the bolt is a distinct interference fit. Tight enough
that I can barley force the bolt in by hand. Enough that I'd have to hammer
the bolts through. I think whoever was running the lathe that day was off by a
couple of thousandths. Enough to merit some quick rework at the turning
machine...

      Roger Garnett           (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."