Re: The Great Unwashed

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, pb1@axe.humboldt.edu
Subject: Re: The Great Unwashed
From: simon@lsil.com (Simon Favre)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 95 11:14:24 PDT
Phillip,

I think you completely misunderstood the discussion that's going on
here. This is not about elitism, or "my toy is better than yours." I
made no such comparison. There are always greater and lesser cars on
the track at Vintage events. This is one of the things that makes them
so interesting. What this is about is whether scratch-built replicas
should be allowed to run with originals at Vintage events. The original
poster *asked* for opinions. I think this issue *is* appropriate for
discussion, but perhaps it has gone on long enough. This will be my
last comment on the subject, unless someone specifically asks me.

This issue is a serious concern for all Vintage clubs to face as
interest in Vintage racing increases. This is one of the fastest
growing areas in motorsports.  All Vintage clubs are going to be faced
with somebody who does not have $500,000 for an original Cobra, but
wants to pretend he does by running with them in a $50,000 replica.
It's not about the money, it's about the cars. Who could tell from the
stands which is which? If we intend to attract paying spectators and
event sponsors, they have a right to get what they came for. If you
allow any replica to run with originals, you may as well just take the
word "Vintage" out of "Vintage Racing" and just call it "Racing."

BTW, I didn't invent the term "The Great Unwashed." Some journalist
invented that term years ago. I used it in jest. Maybe you should
lighten up a bit. ;=)

As far as enjoyment goes, I enjoy myself just fine. It does take an
enormous amount of work to keep an old car on the track. If the replica
driver can have just as much fun with less work, why should I keep
working on the original so much? Maybe I should just ditch it and get a
replica just like his? Maybe we should all just rope the real cars off
in museums and drive replicas? I don't think so. That's what I was
getting at, not, "Ooh my ego is bruised because his replica looks
nicer." Give me the benfit of the doubt, ok? I didn't mean to incite
anyone's wrath, and neither did the original poster. He asked for
opinions, and I think he got some. ;=)

Loosening up and enjoying things does not mean diluting the quality of
the events we all love. Peace, OK?

> From vintage-race-owner@triumph.cs.utah.edu Fri Sep  1 09:17:05 1995
> Date: Fri, 01 Sep 1995 08:20 -0700 (PDT)
> Date-Warning: Date header was inserted by axe.humboldt.edu
> From: pb1@axe.humboldt.edu (Phillip Buttolph)
> Subject: The Great Unwashed
> To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
> Sender: owner-vintage-race@triumph.cs.utah.edu
>
> I have enjoy the dialogue of this list; it is varied and
> informative...until now.
>
> My opinion only, but the inane and elitist bilge about "my toy is better
> than your toy" doesn't serve the interest of either enthusiasts or the
> "Great Unwashed".  Such ego pumping dribble really turns people off.  While
> I understand the lore of holding a slice of history and playing dress-up in
> our rare cars, nothing makes a "..rebodied by a fine Italian coachbuilder
> in the same period as when the chassis were produced." superior in anyway
> to a "Cobra replica built last week by a modern craftsman.".

I think you are way off base here. Zagato is a coachbuilder of high
reputation.  All of the cars they built were done on another
manufacturer's chassis, whether they were production cars for the
street, or racers. If Zagato built it, then it is a Zagato. If Fred in
Modesto built it, it is *NOT* a Zagato. This is about the cars, and
where they were built, not snobbishness, or ego.

... [SNIP]