DEVIN BODIES

To: Vintage List <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: DEVIN BODIES
From: ejm03@health.state.ny.us
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 95 10:39:24 EDT
There was a question about the Devin in a Devin-Healey. The best source of
info on Bill Devin and his fiberglass bodies appeared in the Vintage
 Motorsport Magazine issue of March/April 1991. There were 3 articles -
Devin The Man, Devin The Cars and The Mice ( Florida SCCA racers that used
Devin bodies with VW powertrains. The team name was Scuderia Packrat.)

The first Devin body was the Devin-Panhard and had a pointed nose.  The next
 body was the classic Devin. It was copied from the Ermini and came in 27
different sizes to fit all cars from Crosley to Chevy. Price was $295.
(I have a copy of the specifications - the "J" body fits the MGA.)

Devin also made complete cars. The Devin SS used a Chevy V8 powertrain, 15
were made. Several still run today in vintage events.  The Devin-D was
 Volkswagen based on a tube frame and the Devin-C was Corvair based. No numbers
on how many made.

It appears that production ended in 1964.  I spoke with Bill in 1992, to
confirm a fiberglass body I found in a blackberry patch. His bodies were all
made with fiberglass cloth and were a translucent tan.

Gene Myszkowski             1959MGA-1600 Coupe on the track

ejm03@health.state.ny.us