tvr

Re: Silicone brake fluid conversion

To: tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silicone brake fluid conversion
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 12:32:01 EST
In a message dated 00-12-07 16:33:53 EST, John.Ayer@PSS.Boeing.com writes:

<<  I've heard many arguments back and forth among racers, autocrossers,
concours folk, and noone has any compelling argument for it's overall benefit.
 Also I've done track days, autocrossed, and shown my 2500M (and assorted
Fiats) and have no trouble or complaints against the standard Castrol LMA.
 (Brake pad material, that's a different story!)
 Of course this has been mostly here in  the cool NorthWest, I can't speak to
what might have happened in Arizona :) >>

Listers,

Ah, "THE GREAT (silicone) DEBATE"  has found its way to the TVR list!  As a
subscriber to various British Car lists I have seen this topic discussed many
times.  It comes up at least once a year on every list, and a clear winner
has yet to emerge.

It seems to be one of those unanswerable questions.  For every person who has
evidence to support his position, there is someone else with evidence to
refute it.

I converted to Silcone when I did a complete overhaul on my Vixen brakes a
few years ago.  I have run many autocrosses, hillclimbs, and track events,
and I have never experienced any problems.  In fact, my brakes work great.
Now I don't think the silicone fluid should get the credit, except maybe in
the case of track events (due to its higher boiling point).  I never
experienced the "soft pedal" that some have complained about, so I believe
that the "soft pedal" is due to improper installation of the fluid and/or
improper bleeding of the system.  It seems to be ESSENTIAL that you use the
right technique through the entire process.

Is there a compelling reason to use it in a street car?   Well, it is nice to
not have to worry about messing up a painted surface when there is a leak or
spill (like when you change front brake pads, forgetting to siphon off some
fluid from the master cylinder, retract the caliper pistons and fluid goes
everywhere).  Not that I would ever make such a mistake, but I have heard
stories ;>)

An interesting article  can  be found at this address:

http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.htm

It seems to be one of those unanswerable questions.  For every person who has
evidence to support his position, there is someone else with evidence to
refute it.
Let us know what you decide, Irv, and how it works for you.

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA