tvr

Re: TVR M Series Hatchback Conversion?

To: "Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>,
Subject: Re: TVR M Series Hatchback Conversion?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:25:51 -0400
> Interesting question Kai.  Given the limited demand, I wonder if such a
kit
> is available at all?!?!  If so, I would think it would be very expensive.
> wonder if it would re-use your stock rear glass, or something slightly
> undersize.  (I know the stock piece of glass is worth about $2000 US).  I
> also think there would be a ton of work letting the kit into the hatch
> opening. The hatch surround would all have to be glassed in, faired,
> painted, etc.

Hello Stephen, I think you're right.  The issue with the conversion is you'd
probably knock up so many hours of labour that it would be cheaper to
purchase a complete new hatchback shell from David Gerald.  You would avoid
all the messy fitting work, and the panel alignment and joining would be
done already... paint still required though.

> Personally, I would ignore the impractical nature of rear glass that
doesn't
> open, and concentrate on other things that make the car more fun, like
> more horespower, stickier tires, quality sound system, etc. TVR's were
> never intended for people who like sensible shoes.  :)

:-)  I had purchased a new pair of boat shoes earlier last summer, well my
clutch master cylinder happened to let go at the same time... and all the
hydraulic fluid dribbled down the pedal and onto my shoe (resting beneath
the pedal).  Oh well... they're comfy work shoes now.  I'm working on the
horsepower issues as well... the supercharger for my TR-6 arrived, and I
still await the manifolds and fitting kit, if I like it enough I'll purchase
a second for when I buy my 2500M.

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kmr@pil.net
1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR-6