tvr

RE: 2500M suspension?

To: "'Tetterton, Syd'" <STetterton@RoseArchitects.com>
Subject: RE: 2500M suspension?
From: Gavin Ivory <G_Ivory@beutel-can.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:38:46 -0400
Well I'll wade in since I haven't seen any other response ... we TVR types
are a quiet bunch [or are we just under our cars?]:
I don't know the details on your car, but I've learnt a few things the hard
way. Changing spring rate/length can really improve handling [lower the car
but stiffen ride], but be prepared to spend time/$$ playing around with
different combinations. No miracle bolt on handling packages in a box. You
end up writing the manual.
If you're just changing shocks, the biggest thing is to check your spring
i/d both back and front. Spaxs are good, but be careful to order the height
and tension adjustables designated "AS", not just the tension adjustable
labelled "S" [lesson learned the hard way]. Spax model numbers as
followsshould fit [but double check]:
2" i/d G 764 AS
2.25" i/d G936 AS
2.5" i/d G 935 AS
2.75" i/d G 934 AS
If replacing springs, I'd get a spring/shock package made to fit together
[mostly 2.5"] For my car I put in Pro Shocks [5" stroke] with the alum. coil
0ver kit and Afco springs. Height adjustable, with spherical bearing ends
[removable]. About U$200 per corner. Replaced the stock 190lb 14 5/8" front
spring with 225lb 10" springs. Good for the track, too low on the street. Do
I go 225lb 12", or 250lb+ and stay with 10"?? Don't yet know, which goes
back to the main point here: be prepared to fiddle. Forgot to mention: Spaxs
can take 6mos plus to order as the factory only produces any model when they
have 10 orders in hand. Pro Shocks are standard stock car equipment:
strong,cheap, easily available!

Gavin Ivory
Toronto
'79 Taimar [5.0L Ford]