tvr

Distributor Advance Curves

To: "'tvr net'" <tvr@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Distributor Advance Curves
From: "Hill, Stephen M AETT:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:42:47 -0800
I am "warming up" the engine in my 1971 TVR 2500: cam, triple webers, tuned
header, raised compression, electronic ignition, etc. I am looking for some
advice on distributor advance curves. My weber info suggest that I
disconnect the advance curve. I have also got varied info on what is the
best distributor curve. One recommendation is the distributor from the early
TR5 PI engines, which has a 6 degree distributor advance, which means 12
degrees at  the crank.  I have also been told that the later distributor
with 14 degrees (28 degrees at the crank) is the way to go. The Triumph tune
manual and the Competition Prep manual are not very helpful on this point.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Stephen