Re: [TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 9, Issue 87

To: "Triumphs (triumphs@autox.team.net)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 9, Issue 87
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 07:30:20 -0400
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 6:30 AM, Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net> wrote:
> However, as has been said, originally the cooling system was good enough to
> keep the engine cool in all situations.  (Possibly not completely true!!).
> So, if the cooling ability is no longer good enough, then the problem is not
> the properly functioning standard thermostat.  It is that the block can't
> heat the coolant properly, or that the radiator can't cool the fluid properly.

For what it's worth, I have a 1975 TR6 with stock cooling and a
slightly higher compression engine.  I can drive around town in
August, in traffic, in Georgia, and the gauge doesn't rise much higher
than halfway.

(Excuse me a moment while I knock wood...ok, I'm back)

If I had cooling problems on an otherwise stock engine, I'd begin by
connecting a garden hose up to the various cooling openings and seeing
what washes out.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **