[TR] Crazy Tach

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Crazy Tach
From: "Rick" <chandler.rick@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:53:42 -0700
Thread-index: Ac6Z4GF6Gth4TbjmQgirsfcDwYVwag== s=q20121106; t=1376589222; bh=MOpSxV7MOUNU5lsW/RSQkwfXaoczagZ0lLDoSQqW0qM=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=DleECltigRd0bw90G+e2uR7ZECcYK09J8zI2UWm32AX5cs4B5ptAM4FrrWovQJAFl G0CDE5HIkxCFbOSB6HwUIvjmwSrdkwP3YEA8TQxjAOZJxdSjYs+jjzoKy7PHo7DZQZ zxVlZwux5bTs48bPh90Q2UeSIR/mj75emUVXybSGKEssA+uld3a+cER5FZWtCOh9qy uisKlgs6xPVaJMG0nFEmSwBtPqGqPOKik0EczRcjo6tDA1HovuE4s84cVoqMA7lNKq q2lLQ2uSG5yJzHJeIicB8T7Snxk5xGkzzXgfOweqEymwppcAacV3jPpgjEsD2Scjya nFH+hNL/JDsMw==
I had exactly the same experience a few years ago during my TR3A rebuild
with a new cable. These cables have a square key formed into each end of the
round cable which is designed to fit into the tach and drive, respectively.
This key is formed by a compression tool (many shops use a manual tool that
is wacked with a hammer) to create a square cross-section of 0.125" on a
side. The problem with my cable (in fact I went through 2 of them) was NOT
the key length but rather the cross-section, which was several thou
oversized and would not fit fully into the tach receptacle. I ground off a
bit on each side so that the key fit smoothly into the tach, which solved
the problem. Since then I found a local Brit motorcycle shop that had the
compression tool, and I run all of my new cables through him (they're all
oversized as purchased) for size adjustment.

Rick in Seattle

1960 TR3A

1970 BSA 441 Victor Special

1972 Norton 750 Commando Combat