Re: [TR] Any gotchas on tr3 fan motor?

To: list Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Any gotchas on tr3 fan motor?
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 0:56:41 +0000
---- Chris Simo <ccsimonsen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Working on a TR 3. Time to clean up in refurb the fan and heater. Fan was
> quite tight and would not turn easily. I washed it with wd-40 vs brake
> cleaner.  I put some drops of light machine oil on both ends.
>
> It now spins like a champ and quite silent. Should I open it up and grease
> it? Anything to watch out for when opening the small motor?

It's probably fine, but if I were going to rely on it for heat, I would
probably open it up and re-soak the bushings in engine oil.

It's been a long time (no heater in the last two TRs), but I don't recall
anything being particularly tricky.  Like most motors, there are some wires
that you have to be careful not to over-stretch while disassembling the motor.
Long time ago, I even re-wound one successfully.

Well, at least the motor ran faster afterwards, can't say it really put out any
more heat.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive