Re: [TR] '72 TR6 - Alternator Conversion Stumper

To: "'Martin Secrest'" <moira.secrest@verizon.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] '72 TR6 - Alternator Conversion Stumper
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:38:02 -0800
> In the 3-wire plug, there are the typical brown/yellow wires,
> with one of them
> a short jumper.  There are lugs on the Bosch alternator that
> correspond to
> these.

Not as much as you'd think.  The jumpered terminal can be ignored, it
doesn't exist on the new alternator.  The two wires to the 3-prong plug
should be brown/yellow, and small brown.  The brown/yellow goes to the small
terminal in the 3-prong plug on the Bosch.  The small brown may not be used,
if it is used there will be a separate terminal on the Bosch for it.

> In the 2-wire plug, there is a large brown/white wire, and a
> large black wire
> that is grounded to the engine.

The black wire may be left off (relying on the mount to ground the
alternator), or connected to the ground stud on the alternator case.  The
brown/white is the main alternator output (which goes to the ammeter on the
dash).  It should be wired to both of the large tabs in the 3-tab connector
on the alternator.

This photo may help:
http://goo.gl/7yc3q

Moss sells a kit with the 3-terminal plug and connectors, PN 540-280.  You
can just use ordinary quick connect terminals without the plug; but the wide
ones are getting hard to find.  Here are some that I think might do, but
you'll have to add some heat shrink insulation (which is my preference
anyway, after both crimping and soldering)
http://goo.gl/k6OM7

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html