Re: [TR] Electronic Ignitions (formerly Looking to buy)

To: Anthony Rhodes <spamiam@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Electronic Ignitions (formerly Looking to buy)
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 15:03:38 +0000 (UTC)
>Was your electronic ignition a Pertronix unit?  How old?  Apparently the
>newer Pertronix units are more sturdy than "older" ones.  I don't know what
>they changed, or when.  Any idea why it failed?

Hi, Anthony.  Actually I'm still troubleshooting.  I did replace the Pertronix
with points and condenser, same problem, but am waiting for a new condensor in
the mail to be sure I'm not swapping one problem for another.

The procedure was to eliminate the possibility of shifted Pertronix magnets
throwing the timing off.  At this point it seems likely that the Pertronix is
not the failure point.

How does one test the power of the spark?  Is there a certain Amp value using a
multimeter?  ...Or just listen for the "snap" of the spark when shorting it
against the valve cover?

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47