Re: [TR] valve springs

To: "bielings" <bielings@comcast.net>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] valve springs
From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <jerryvv@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 14:41:52 -0400
Yes, but I assume you are asking how to do it. There are 2 methods that I've
used. One is to jam rope through the spark plug hole and then move the
piston as far up in the bore as you can to keep the valves from dropping. It
works. The second method is to use compressed air to keep the valves closed.
Buy a fitting that threads into the spark plug hole and pressurize the
cylinder. The piston will drop to it's lowest point and if you break the
valve seal you'll drop the valve into the cylinder. It's almost impossible
to avoid the piston dropping due to air pressure especially if you are doing
this alone. Maybe someone can stand on the brakes to keep the car from
moving, I've not tried that. I was successful doing it both ways. The rope
way is the safest in my opinion.

Best wishes
JVV