Re: [TR] Transmission whine

To: Anthony Cascio <allegrorover@mac.com>, email list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Transmission whine
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 23:59:07 +0000
From: Anthony Cascio <allegrorover@mac.com>

> Ok Folks,
> I am in Durango, Co, with the TR3, it has the Toyota 5 speed.
> I was driving towards Mesa Verde and the tranny started to whine
> pretty loud.
> It kinda stopped shifting so I pulled over checked for leaks and
> clutch fluid, all ok.
> I was able to get going again after 10 or so minutes, drove fine,
> still whinning.
> I took it into a local shop Dan's auto repair, nice guy and added
> quite a bit of gear oil to the tranny!!! (not good)
> Car runs fine still got the whine, I'm guessing the main shaft bearing
> may have fried......(not good)
> Any thoughts????

As Bob Danielson has already answered, it is likely that the tranny flange
moved too far forward and ate the rear seal. The locking collar prevents the
driveshaft from collapsing, but it does NOT prevent the driveshaft from
extending further than it should, which would cause the flange to be below the
minimum distance from the seal. Bob told me about this, as I am in the process
of doing this. After I read his report and email, I found that I could pull the
end of the driveshaft out of the splines. After seeing this, it is off to the
driveshaft shop for me to have one made without sliding splines. You only want
1 slip joint in the assembly, and you have 2.
THANKS, Bob.
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL