Re: [TR] Knock

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <kthompson@whoi.edu>
Subject: Re: [TR] Knock
From: <hdrider570@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 08:03:18 -0700
It could also be the timing chain.  I have had several that make a noise
similar to a pin/rod knock.  Aways quiet when first
starting but once the oil warms up it can be  quite load at slow idle.  Basicly
when the engine runs slowely the cam  "Judders" as
the lobes crest on the lifters.  Usually the noise will go away about 1,000
rpm's.

Many cars came with a blob of  "Bondo" on the timing chain cover from the
factory to help deaden the sound.

I have had problems with this with some of the replacement chains from the big
three.  I had one start making noise in 1,000 miles.

So my sugestion is pull the timing cover before pulling the head and see how
much slack there is.  A good chain will have almost
none when installed on new gears.

British Parts N/W was suppling "German" gears last time a bought a set and they
were of very good quality. NFI by the way.

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net