[TR] Overdrive solenoid

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Overdrive solenoid
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:36:24 +0000
I've driven the TR3A's Type A Overdrive for almost 15,000 miles now, but the OD
now fails to engage.  Suspecting electrical, I was able to get it to engage
intermitently.  Now not at all.
Tonight I disassembled the transmission housing to get at the solenoid, so I
could be sure I was getting actuation.  Apparently not.  The solenoid was
toast, melted on top with the upper wire no longer solidly connected (hence the
intermitency).
Clearly it overheated.  Since this was a brand new solenoid from one of the Big
3, it  was (ostensibly) set to correct tolerances from the factory.  Indeed, it
did work fine for about 15K miles.
What did I do wrong?  My guess is this thing was drawing the 15 amps all the
time, instead of the brief moment to actuate.
Terry Smith, '59 Tr3A
New Hampshire