[TR] TR3A Windwings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3A Windwings
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:33:28 +0000
Hello, everyone.

A while back I ordered some TR windwings from Moss, installed them, and within
a week had a broken bracket dangling from the wing.  Apparently these brackets,
as others responded on the List, are made of a cheap pot metal.  I have to
testify this is true.

Disclaimer:  Absolutely no reflection on Moss.  The supplier for this part
seems to be universal for our parts houses, again as List members report.

Anyway, when I called Moss, they gave their usual terrific customer experience
(my experience, anyway, both with them and TRF), by sending me not the
replacement brackets I'd asked for, but a whole new set of WindWings complete
with brackets.

But that still left me with the original problem, poor quality brackets.
...So, for those of you who are interested, I went to the local hardware store
and purchased four 1/2" x 1/2" x 1 1/2" steel machine keys.  These I used as
blanks.  With original brackets for a pattern, I cut the key down to 1 1/4"
length using Vise Grips as a clamp to hold the key steady on my table saw set
up with a metal cutting blade.  Then I cut the slots down the center, taking
several slow careful passes.  Last, I drilled the holes for the set screw in
the same location, and tapped same for the inset screws I purchased at the saem
time I got the machine keys.  Drill all the way through both "legs."

After light sanding for a smooth finish, I painted with Rustoleum primer and
Rustoleum Metalic Finish.  Results are impeccable.  They look great and are
sturdy enough to crank as hard as you want on the set screw without ever
breaking again.

Hmmm... but now I have an unopened package of windwings to send back to Moss,
as soon as I ask them if they'll credit me the postage.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A (TS 58667)
New Hampshire