RE: [TR] Powder Coat curing ovens

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>
Subject: RE: [TR] Powder Coat curing ovens
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:01:55 -0500
I'm not sure if my welding reply went through, it is pasted below.   It ties
into the oven post as well.  6-3 WG ( With ground ) is only used if you are
pulling 110 and 220 from the same run as you need 3 conductors for power and
another one for ground.  If you are only using 220 only , 6-2 - WG is what
you
need as there will be 2 conductors to supply 220 and another one for ground.
######################
A couple of things.

Harold,
I was fully intending to use 6-2 cable but here in Cincinnati, the electric
code says I need to have a separate, insulated neutral wire for 220 single
phase. So... I need the 6-3 cable. It has a red, black, and white conductor,
plus an uninsulated ground wire. The code here further states that I need a
separate, uninsulated ground wire too. The 6-3 wire I saw at Home Depot
would do what I need at $2.39/foot! Too bad I need about 100'..

What type of welding machine is he going to use?

What is the max input amps of that machine? ( if you get a brand and exact
model  we can likely look it up on the makers site )

What setting will he likely use? ( how high will he turn it up? )

I think I will just pack up the frame and components and run it all over tho
his shop. He only lives about 15 minutes from me.
On a side note, I purchased one of the TSI Automotive frame re-enforcement
kits from Ted. I have two parallelagram shaped pieces that I haven't quite
figured out where to mount yet. Has anybody out there used one of these
kits?

The oven, is it a industrial unit or a home cooking oven?

The oven I have is an old electric range/stove. The plate on the back says
it needs a 220 VAC 50 amp service. I never thought about not considering the
burners on the top of the stove. I don't plan on using them. One thing about
this range is that it has two ovens instead of one. Not too sure if that is
good or not as the total area may be smaller in each oven vs. one large one.
The local electric code here in Cincinnati has decided that 6 guage aluminum
wire only supports 40 amps. I have a partial run of the aluminum wire that I
was planning on getting me through the drywalled portion of my family room.
To transistion from aluminum to copper, I was going to use one of those
disconnect boxes that you see connected to your outside air conditioner.

Getting back to my original thought, I wonder if it would be better to just
buy the Harbor Freight oven and forget about spending all this money on the
wiring..
Dave Connitt

===     http://www.vtr.org